Monday, September 8, 2008

Back from the diabetes counselor

I almost feel like it was a wasted trip. And it's such a pain in the butt trip, too. Her office is at UTMC - which is about 25 miles from my house. And parking is crazy. And it's a HUGE hospital - at least compared to the sweet little women's center where I birth my babies. (HA HA) I have to park in the garage and walk about a 1/2 mile to get into the hospital. Then I have to remember which set of elevators to take to get me up into the correct tower to find their office. Finally, about 14 minutes after I parked, I arrived and checked in.

And I discovered what the pastor at church has been talking about. They're always talking about "the least, the last and the lost". Well, they aren't lost anymore. I found all of them - they're in the waiting room of the high risk OB's office. Holy cow! I firmly believe I was the ONLY person there not on medicaid and I was the only one there actually married to her baby-daddy. And probably the only one over 20 years old, too.

Anyway.......so I met with the nutritionist first. And she didn't really give me any new information at all. So much for the "help me come up with lean protein sources other than chicken - because chicken makes me puke". And then I met with Jo, my counselor - aka the guru of all things gestational diabetes in Knoxville. She issued me a new glucose meter - HOORAY for swag - and a prescription for strips and lancets.

She told me that she firmly believes this is gestational diabetes and not a pre-existing case of type II diabetes. Which is FAB news. Except that is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what she told me on the phone on Friday. So, I'm a little lost. She sent me off to the lab to have an A1C, which is a blood test that is a 3 month look at my average blood glucose levels. Which should help them see if this is a recent development or not - yipee! So hopefully that test will come back well. I wanted to ask Jo about the contridiction from what she told me on Friday, but then she was gone and I didn't see her again.

I have another appt. scheduled in 2 weeks, so we'll discuss it then. Plus, they should have my A1C results by then.

In the meantime, it's testing my glucose 4x a day and recording everything I eat along w/ my glucose readings. I'll keep you posted how things are going. Maybe I'll even keep a daily post of what I'm eating and how it's going every day. Oh boy, I'm sure you'll love it. :)


No comments: