Thursday, April 16, 2009

First time for everything

I nursed Will for 18 months. We had our fair share of trials, but managed to work through all of them. Evan has been nursing for less than a month and we've hit the big one. Mastitis has found it's way into our home - and into my bra.
Yesterday I started aching. Last night when I went to bed, I was sore and tender to the touch. I was freezing - I couldn't get warm, I cranked up the furnace and piled on 2 extra blankets in bed. I shivered and shivered and finally fell asleep. I woke up at midnight in a fair amount of pain - and still cold. I took some tylenol and made Todd hold me to try and keep me warm. I finally fell back asleep about 1:30.
This morning I woke up and checked the mirror. The tell tale red streaks where all over the upper portion of my left breast. My whole body ached and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.
Thankfully the doctor's office got me in this afternoon and I was able to get a prescription for antibiotics. Hopefully I'll feel better quickly - this weekend is our shower and we have family in town. I certainly don't want to feel horrible all weekend.
Let's hope I never get mastitis again. Eep!

No comments: